Thank you for your interest in our Service Dogs UK Assistance Dog Programme for veterans of the Armed Forces and Emergency Services with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Please see the information below about our Programme…
- Eligibility Criteria,
- What We Provide (in short),
- How To Apply and
- What Happens Next.
Eligibility criteria – who can apply?
Applications are open to members/veterans who have served or are serving in Armed Forces & Emergency Services (including MCA & RNLI & UKSAR) who …
- have a clinical diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and …
- are based in West Sussex, Surrey and East & North Hampshire and …
- are committed to partaking in the PTSD Assistance Dog Programme which is around 9 months long and involves weekly training sessions.
- we do NOT provide PTSD Assistance Dog Training to already existing dogs or puppies.
- we are NOT able to place an Assistance Dog (in training) with (an) already existing dog(s) in the household.
- we do not provide professional mental health support.
If you do NOT meet our eligibility criteria please have a read of our Frequently Asked Questions.
What is the PTSD Assistance Dog Programme
We provide an intensive dog training programme of 9 months where you will get partnered with a preselected dog, from rescue. We do not select specific breeds or train, already existing, pet dogs or puppies. The dogs we use are in need of a home, love and are selected on temperament and character. You will get taught how to train the dog, look after him or her, become a responsible guardian, obtain new skills and routines with the aim to become an Assistance Dog Partnership – all under the guidance and support of our team in weekly sessions – find out more click here. The dogs we train are not pets or solely companions, they get trained to be with you 24/7 as working PTSD Assistance Dogs.
Our training programme is FREE to our clients. Please download and read our Veteran Considerations before Applying leaflet – click here.
How to Apply to the PTSD Assistance Dog Programme…
If you meet our eligibility criteria as mentioned above, we will need a Full Application, either you can do this:
- Using our online Full Application Form
- or you can request one to be sent via email – click here.
What Happens Next…
- Once you have applied and we have your details, provided you are eligible, you will be contacted either via telephone or email.
- Upon a successful first interview we will conduct a home assessment to establish your suitability for the programme.
- It is on the basis of the above that we will review Suitability and Programme Acceptance.
- If you are accepted on the programme you will be invited to a training session to meet the team and after that you’d be joining the Programme which will be explained to you in full detail.
Applying does not automatically mean you will be accepted.