Thank you for your interest in our Service Dogs UK Assistance Dog Programme for Veterans of the Armed Forces and Emergency Services with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Applications are open to members/Veterans who have served, or are serving, in HM Armed Forces & Emergency Services (including MCA & RNLI & UKSAR) who:
- have a clinical diagnosis of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- are based/living in West Sussex, Surrey and Hampshire OR are based/living in Somerset, Wiltshire, Dorset & Devon OR are based/living in Essex and surrounding counties
- are committed to partaking in the PTSD Assistance Dog Programme which is around 9 months long and involves 2 weekly training sessions
Service Dogs UK is committed to encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion among our workforce, volunteers and clients and eliminating unlawful discrimination. The aim is for our workforce, volunteers and clients to be truly representative of all sections of society and our customers, and for each to feel respected and able to give their best. The organisation – in providing services is also committed against unlawful discrimination of clients, volunteers or the public.
- we do NOT normally place a dog in homes where there is an existing dog(s)
we do NOT train pet dogs ordinarily, although in exceptional circumstances we may consider this depending on the dog
- we do not provide professional mental health support.
- we do not offer open training sessions for veterans to visit prior to any Programme Acceptance.
If you do NOT meet our Eligibility Criteria please read our Frequently Asked Questions
We provide an intensive dog training programme of around 9 months where you will be partnered with a rescue dog with the aim to become an Assistance Dog Partnership.
We do not select specific breeds or train already existing pet dogs or puppies.
The rescue dogs the charity selects are in need of a home, friendship and love. They are assessed thoroughly for temperament and character prior to being partnered with a Veteran.
You will learn how to train the dog, look after them, obtain new skills and routines and become a responsible guardian under the guidance of our supportive team in weekly sessions. Find out more click here.
The dogs we train are not pets or solely companions, they are trained to be with you 24/7 as working PTSD Assistance Dogs.
Our training programme is FREE to our clients.
Please download and read our Veteran Considerations before Applying leaflet – click here.
- Once you have applied, provided you are eligible, you will be contacted either via telephone or email.
- Upon a successful first telephone interview, we will conduct a home assessment to establish your suitability for the programme.
- It is on the basis of the above that we will review Suitability and Programme Acceptance.
- If you are accepted on the programme you will be invited to a training session to meet the team.
- After that, you’d be joining the Programme which will be explained to you in full detail.
Please note, applying does not automatically mean you will be accepted.