Thank you for your interest in our Service Dogs UK Assistance Dog Programme for veterans of the Armed Forces and Emergency Services with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Please see the information below about our Programme…
- Eligibility Criteria,
- What We Provide (in short),
- How To Apply and
- What Happens Next.
Eligibility criteria – who can apply?
Applications are open to members/veterans who have served or are serving in Armed Forces & Emergency Services (including MCA & RNLI & UKSAR) who …
- have a clinical diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and …
- are based/living in West Sussex, Surrey and East & North Hampshire and …
- are committed to partaking in the PTSD Assistance Dog Programme which is around 9 months long and involves 2 weekly training sessions.
- we do NOT provide PTSD Assistance Dog Training to already existing dogs or puppies.
- we are NOT able to place an Assistance Dog (in training) with (an) already existing dog(s) in the household.
- we do not provide professional mental health support.
- we do not offer open training sessions for veterans to visit prior to any Programme Acceptance.
If you do NOT meet our eligibility criteria please have a read of our Frequently Asked Questions.
What is the PTSD Assistance Dog Programme
We provide an intensive dog training programme of around 9 months where you will get partnered with a rescue dog with the aim to become an Assistance Dog Partnership.
We do not select specific breeds or train, already existing, pet dogs or puppies.
The rescue dogs the charity selects are in need of a home, friendship and love. They are assessed thoroughly for temperament and character prior to being partnered with a veteran.
You will learn how to train the dog, look after him or her, obtain new skills and routines and become a responsible guardian under the guidance of our supportive team in weekly sessions. Find out more click here.
The dogs we train are not pets or solely companions, they are trained to be with you 24/7 as working PTSD Assistance Dogs.
Our training programme is FREE to our clients.
Please download and read our Veteran Considerations before Applying leaflet – click here.
How to Apply to the PTSD Assistance Dog Programme…
If you meet our eligibility criteria as mentioned above, we will need a Full Application, you can do this in 3 different ways:
What Happens Next…
- Once you have applied and we have your details and provided you are eligible, you will be contacted either via telephone or email.
- Upon a successful first telephone interview, we will conduct a home assessment to establish your suitability for the programme.
- It is on the basis of the above that we will review Suitability and Programme Acceptance.
- If you are accepted on the programme you will be invited to a training session to meet the team.
- After that, you’d be joining the Programme which will be explained to you in full detail.
Applying does not automatically mean you will be accepted.